Twitter Shares Statement on Why Trump Still Hasn't Been Banned

Carlos Barria  Reuters
President Donald Trump in the Oval Office

Carlos Barria Reuters President Donald Trump in the Oval Office

The President made national headlines earlier this week when he issued a stark warning to Kim Jong Un regarding America's unwillingness to co-exist with a nuclear-armed North Korea; saying the USA has a much "bigger and more powerful" arsenal at its disposal.

The company's response comes after President Trump posted a tweet about North Korea, which led to calls for him to be banished from the site. In September, he tweeted: "Just heard Foreign Minister of North Korea speak at U.N. If he echoes thoughts of Little Rocket Man, they won't be around much longer!"

The company has previously said that it considers whether a post is newsworthy and of public interest before deciding whether to remove it.

The rule in question is this: "You may not make specific threats of violence or wish for the serious physical harm, death, or disease of an individual or group of people".

SpaceX Zuma Launch On January 7, Falcon Heavy To Fly January End
Originally planned for a launch Thursday, January 4, then delayed until Friday, January 5 and now delayed until Sunday January 7. Musk also says that the Falcon Heavy will be "the most powerful rocket in the world by a factor of two".

But according to Twitter's ever-evolving and sometimes seemingly contradictory rules, Trump's threat was too vague. "Instead, we may review and take action against that content under our abusive behavior and hateful conduct policies".

On Tuesday night in San Francisco, protesters projected a message directed at Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey on Twitter's main building. The group, which said some of its members have theater and technology backgrounds, was planning a protest at Twitter headquarters Wednesday night.

Twitter released a statement Friday after a number of Twitter users said the January 2 tweet threatening nuclear war violated Twitter's revised Terms of Service, launching a campaign to stomp out violent threats on their platform, often by shutting down offending accounts.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Twitter's statement.

Alex Trebek Takes Medical Leave from JEOPARDY! Following Blood Clot Surgery
Trebek says in the video, "I expect to be back in the studio taping more 'Jeopardy!' programs very, very soon". But he assured fans he is coming back to the show soon.

The outcry seems to be more widespread online.

Some on Twitter have pointed out what they see as an alleged double-standard being perpetrated. Trump's repeated Twitter attacks on individuals and businesses have led numerous president's critics to argue that he has violated the platform's rules.

This is not the first time Twitter has been criticized for "enabling" the president. "Any time we have any leader tweet, including Trump, there's a very interesting and thriving conversation".

'I Didn't Do It For Views'
On Twitter, Paul wrote an apology, writing "I didn't do it for views". "Let's start with this - I'm sorry", he posted on Twitter. However there are several close-up shots of the body where only the person's face was blurred. "You're not raising awareness.

Latest News