Police to provide update on Bruce McArthur case today

Alleged 'potted-plant serial killer' hit with seventh murder charge as police try to identify remains

BRUCE MCARTHUR: Accused serial killer now charged with seventh murder

Toronto police have now charged 66 year old Bruce McArthur with a 7th count of first degree murder, as their investigation expands even further.

The prosecution said in the courthouse Wednesday that the 66-year-old landscaper has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Abdulbasir Faizi.

Those remains have been found in planter pots at a home in midtown Toronto where McArthur worked and stored his equipment.

Further details are expected at a police news conference scheduled for this afternoon.

J&K encounter: Army jawan killed, 4 civilians die in ensuing clashes
Protests were also held at National Institute of Engineering in Srinagar . The police in the region also confirmed the killings of four civilians .

On Jan. 29, police laid three additional first-degree murder charges in the deaths of Majeed Kayhan, Soroush Mahmudi, and Dean Lisowick. Later that month, McArthur was charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Kayhan, Mahmudi and Lisowick. While he said there is no current evidence linking McArthur to the cold cases, they fit the general profile of the alleged victims identified to date.

Police also released a forensic sketch of a man believed to be a victim of Mcarthur's, and said they're still trying to identify him. "It didn't make sense that police had this theory that he ran away", she said.

Idsinga said police are now re-examining 15 cold cases dating back as far as 1975 in their investigation.

Investigators had previously identified three of the seven sets of remains, and Det. Police said at the time that they believe the man was already dead when the photo was taken. The two middle-aged men were reported missing in 2017.

Sensex down 38 points, Nifty below 10400 in late morning deals
The sectoral indices like IT, Bankex, Capital Goods, Metal, Power, Realty and Technology pushed the sensex up in early trade. The recent upsurge in the market has led Sensex to gain more than 800 points since mid-last week.

Abdulbasir Faizi is shown in a Toronto Police Service handout photo. The remains of all but Kayhan have been identified among those recovered from the planters at the Leaside home.

Idsinga said Faisi, who was 42 when he disappeared on December 29, 2010, was one of the three men whose disappearances were linked through Project Houston, a task force launched by Toronto police in 2012, to look into the disappearances of the three men from Toronto's Gay Village.

Since his arrest, questions have been mounting about past interactions between McArthur and police, following revelations that police questioned him in 2016 in connection to an alleged assault on another man but was let go. McArthur was interviewed by police during that project but it was closed in 2014.

Idsinga said it's quite possible that the victim was not a resident of Toronto and that police were hoping to get tips to the man's identity from other countries as well.

Teen sexually assaulted by family acquaintance
Police are investigating the assault to determine whether Chavarria-Diaz was involved in any other unsolved crimes. Efforts to contact him for an interview were not immediately successful on Monday.

Latest News